Editor’s Note: This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links. For full details visit the disclosures page.
I recently received a free queen size Winkbed for review. This new Winkbed model is a significant improvement on the previous model which was also a great mattress. This mattress is not delivered in a box and is a hybrid coil/foam mattress. Below is an overview of the company and the mattress. The Winkbed mattress now comes with an optional climate control system where you can make one side of the mattress warm and the other cool depending on your preferences. This actually works and the pictures below prove it.
Overview of the Winkbed
You can order the Winkbed exclusively through their website. Winkbeds come with a 120-night trial where you can sleep on it in the comfort of your own home for 120 nights and if you aren’t happy with it, you can return it for a full refund.
Beyond that, they also offer a lifetime warranty and a 50% off lifetime replacement guarantee. This means that at any point after your trial period has expired, you can exchange the mattress for a different firmness at 50% off!
Below is a video overview of the WinkBed. As you can see it is a very substantial mattress that has a beautiful tufted top.
The Winkbed Company
WinkBeds has a similar mission to other mattress companies that I have reviewed in that they are looking to provide more value and less smoke and mirrors in the mattress industry. I spoke with one of the founders of Winkbeds and we both agreed that the bed in a box model of mattress sales is starting to get crowded. This is even truer than when we first spoke a few months back. That also means that there’s plenty of opportunities to disrupt the traditional spring mattress space.
Construction of the Winkbeds Mattress
Below are the sizes and weights of the medium firm WinkBed along with other detailed specifications.
What are the mattress dimensions and weights?
Twin: 14.5″ x 38″ x 75″ – 58 lbs
Twin XL: 14.5″ x 38″ x 80″ – 60 lbs
Full: 14.5″ x 54″ x 75″ – 70 lbs
Queen: 14.5″ x 60″ x 80″ – 79 lbs
King: 14.5″ x 76″ x 80″ – 93 lbs
California King : 14.5″ x 72″ x 84″ – 93 lbs
- Very quick drying and breathable, more breathable than cotton or linen
- Tencel is derived from Eucalyptus trees which are a renewable resource thus limiting the environmental impact.
- Tencel is OEKO-TEX® Standard 100, Class 1 certified – the highest standard that guarantees the material is safe enough for babies and children
- More buoyant than memory foam, so you don’t get unwanted body depressions or that “stuck feeling”
- Contours to your body, but is more responsive when you move
- Minimizes motion transfer so sleepers don’t get woken up by a restless partner
- Keeps its shape over time
- The gel promotes a cool sleep temperature
- The foam blend is stitched securely around the mattress perimeter top to create a box of padding instead of a pillow with loose edges. This knit pattern keeps the foam in the sleep surface evenly distributed, so it won’t ever sag, unlike a pillow top
- CertiPure certification means WinkBeds beds are made without any ozone depleters, PBDE flame retardants, mercury, lead, formaldehyde, prohibited phthalates, and it’s low in volatile organic compound emissions, at less than 0.5 parts per million.
- This top layer of springs helps to optimize your bed and your body’s sleep temperature by encouraging airflow around the sleep surface, so the bed sleeps cool
- Naturally evaporates any moisture from sweat
- Creates a supportive, flexible, pressure-relieving effect
- Sleeps 28% cooler than all-foam products
- You can sleep all the way to the edge of the bed without any sagging.
- You can sit on the edge of the bed with good support.
- The amount of usable sleep surface is greater due to the edge support. It actually makes your bed feel like its bigger.(I know this sounds crazy but you have to try it).
- High coil count is better for weight distribution and conformity to body shape
- Innovative coil design allows the coil to progressively firm as it’s compressed, ensuring support from the coil unit strengthens naturally with increased body weight
- 100% working wire – every part of surface flexes
- Coils are encased with an ultrasonically-welded cotton mesh which ensures noiseless performance and the elimination of friction
- Head-to-foot laced helicals stabilize to reduce motion transfer
- All foam is CertiPure-certified
- The WinkBed owns a top durability score, meaning during tests stimulating a year of bed usage, there was less than a 1% change in the height and support of the sleep surface. This bests the poly-chemical foam used in most other mattresses (49% change), memory foam (17%) and latex (23%).
Additional Winkbeds Benefits
- All mattresses are made in U.S.A. at their Wisconsin factory
- WinkBeds offer free shipping and in-home delivery
- They offer a 101-night free trial period, with free returns
- Their mattress comes with a 10-year warranty
- Every mattress is handcrafted and built-to-order
My Winkbed Mattress Findings
WinkBeds are easy to order, just name address and credit card number gets one delivered. Once you place an order, your bed is made and shipped in a few days. That’s right, they’re made on demand so they aren’t suffocating in a plastic bag for months. There’s not much turnaround time at all. Unlike the Bed in a Box shipping experience, they don’t just leave it at your doorstep. Instead, they coordinate with a local delivery company to bring the mattress into your house and into the room of your choosing. It’s easy and convenient.
Here’s a picture of the Winkbed still in the packaging.
Upon opening the bed the first thing I noticed is that there’s very little smell. This is probably because the mattress is not vacuum packed and so can breathe a bit. The only other time I came across this is when I reviewed the Love Bed and of course any natural latex bed.
The WinkBed has a little more motion transfer to it than all the foam beds that I have tested. This is due to the fact that it has springs so that should be expected. If you appreciate the bounciness of a spring mattress, you will get that with this bed with the bonus of the benefits of memory foam.
As I said before the WinkBed has some bounce to it. Which can be a good thing, “Wink, Wink”.
Winkbed now offers a Cool Control base that turns your mattress into a climate controlled environment where if you have a queen or king size winkbed, each side can have its own temperature. The best way to illustrate if it works it to show you what the bed looks like with my thermal camera. In the picture below I have one side turned on the highest heat setting and the other on the highest cool setting.
As you can see there is a substantial difference in temperature from one side to the next. The temperature readings in the pictures below show the difference.
Here is the temperature reading over the warm side of the mattress.
Here it is pointed at the coolest point.
There’s no doubt that this technology works and you will get a benefit. The way it works is that hot or cold air is blown through the box spring into the mattress.
There are tubes that you insert on top of the box spring that go into the bottom of the cool control enabled Winkbed.
Below is a picture of the bottom of the Winkbed where the tubes insert.
The motor for the climate control system can be placed under the bed and is relatively small for what it does.
Here’s a video of the Climate Cool system and my thoughts about it so far:
Winkbed Soft and Plus Models
You can now purchase the Winkbed in a Soft Medium or Firm feel. Many people visiting our online mattress showroom to try out the Winkbed find that it is a little on the firmer end of the spectrum in comparison to other hybrid mattresses. If you want to sink in your mattress a bit more, then I definitely recommend the soft version of the Winkbed. Here’s a summary of the soft version of the Winkbed:
The soft Winkbed is designed for sleepers who prefer a deeper sink for their mattress. Compared to the medium WinkBed, the soft version uses a more flexible coil system and extra layer of foam in the sleep surface for added body contour. It’s ideal for sleepers who want the same award-winning quality as the medium WinkBed, but with a slightly softer, more plush feel.
Winkbed Plus Mattress
My Winkbeds Recommendation
Not only did I like sleeping on the WinkBed, my wife did too, aka, the Sleep Sherpette? She prefers a softer mattress than I do however this mattress achieved the best of both worlds by providing a firm innerspring with a soft memory foam top. So, I would definitely recommend this to couples that may have different comfort preferences.
Many people have been asking how the WinkBed compares to the Saatva Mattress. I found that the WinkBed is just plain more comfortable than the Saatva. It also has less motion transfer. A WinkBed Queen size costs, $1,299 and a Saatva Luxury Firm Queen costs, $899 however, in my opinion, think there’s more value with the WinkBed.
WinkBeds have gone through a significant amount of durability testing and are built to last. I think it’s worth the extra cost up front to pay for that instead of finding yourself mattress hunting again.
If you want to venture into memory foam but also want to keep some of the bounce of a traditional innerspring mattress, try the #bestmattressever from Brooklyn Bedding. It has a top layer of latex that provides bounce but sinks in and cradles your body like a memory foam without feeling stuck in the mud or the sleeping on sand feeling like a traditional foam mattress.
If you are wondering how the Winkbed compares to Saatva check out my Winkbed vs Saatva comparison.
Get $50 off your WinkBeds order with coupon code SHERPA50 at checkout.
If you live in Minneapolis or nearby, come try out the Winkbed in person at the Sleep Sherpa Showroom! Learn more Here.
Disclosure: We aim to highlight products and services you might find interesting, and if you buy them, we may get a small share of the revenue. I have an affiliate relationship with WinkBeds