Purple Pillow Review: Dream in Purple
This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links. For full details visit the disclosures page.
I recently bought the Purple Pillow from onpurple.com. The Purple Pillow pairs perfectly with the purple mattress. It is the most breathable pillow I have tested to date. That’s because it is made with the same technology as the Purple Mattress and Purple Seat Cushions. It is also a heavy pillow weighing 9 lbs. Thankfully you won’t need to ever flip it to the cool side because it stays cool all night long.
Here’s another fun commercial from Purple demonstrating how their pillow works and why it is so unique.
Below is a video overview of the Purple Pillow and me taking it out of the packaging. I like how it came in a purple plastic bag that can be unzipped. This is basically a miniature version of their mattress packaging. You can order this direct from the Purple website. It is an extremely popular pillow and I think they are trying to keep up with demand.
I haven’t found any other pillow quite like this one. Here are the construction details and highlights as listed on the Purple website:
- NO MORE FLUFFING
The Purple® Pillow is made with Hyper-Elastic Polymer™ and arranged in a head-specific Smart Comfort Grid™ so it will never break down or lose its shape.
- GET REAL NECK SUPPORT
Made with hundreds of little triangles that give the pillow lateral strength so it can relax under pressure without losing support. The reinforced edges give your neck extra support all night.
- SLEEP COOL ALL NIGHT
Waking up hot and sweaty is the worst. Sleep neutral—not too hot, not too cold—with the Purple® Pillow because it allows air to flow freely through the pillow.
- CUSTOMIZE YOUR HEIGHT
Like a taller pillow? Use the air booster to add some extra height to your pillow. Inflate it once and you’ll never need to touch it again. You’ll just get perfect sleep every night.
Here’s a picture of the inside of the Purple pillow.
Here’s the tag that is on the pillow listing the chemicals used for construction. The cover that the tag refers to is the pillow case. The pillow itself is 98% Gel which is the hyper elastic grid while the remaining 2% is polyester.
You also get the Purple Booster which is basically a blow up cushion that you can put under the pillow and inside the pillow case. I didn’t need this as I prefer a thinner pillow. I don’t think using the booster would be all that comfortable either since it has a tendency to move apart from the pillow itself.
This is what the pillow booster looks like inflated:
The Purple pillow case is very stretchy which lets you get the full effect of the purple grid. I washed mine as normal in my washing machine and didn’t notice any shrinkage. Below are the washing instructions for the Purple pillowcase. I washed mine in warm water and didn’t have a problem.
Here’s the tag from the Purple pillow case that explains a little more about it:
This pillowcase is a little different than most in that it has a zipper to fully enclose the pillow. The reason it needs to fully encase the pillow is that if you were to use the booster, it will keep them together and prevent them from falling out. You don’t need to use another pillow case on top of this, that will take away from some of the pressure relief.
The Purple Pillow has a very unique feel. I can see why they decided to make a pillow based on the success of the mattress. My first night sleeping on it was interesting. I appreciated the ability of this pillow to remain temperature neutral. Heat did not build up since air flowed freely through the grid. Pressure relief was definitely there as well. However I did wake up a couple times during the night because my ear felt a little sore. I’m not sure how to remedy this but it may be something I’ll get used to. For people that sleep hot, I highly recommend trying it and if you’re a fan of the Purple mattress, this completes the experience.
The pillow comes with a 1 year warranty but I do not see anything about a free trial period.