I bought the Lullaby Organic crib mattress from Pottery Barn Kids to see how it’s made and how it compares to some of the other brands in the market. I found that despite having “organic” in the poduct description, there is a lot of synthetic material inside the mattress.
Below is a video of me opening the crib mattress. Ordering from Pottery Barn is easy and my package arrived in about a week.
Details and Construction
Below are the construction details of the crib mattress as listed on the Pottery Barn website:
- Mattress cover is constructed of organically blended cotton ticking, soy enhanced foam pad on toddler side and organically blended wool wrap. Cover is backed with a water resistant barrier.
- Luxury Beautyrest pocketed coils are individually wrapped to provide firm and even support.
- A tempered steel continuous border wire offers edge support.
- GREENGUARD Gold Certified. Meets or exceeds stringent chemical emissions standards.
- 2 in 1 Design – one side provides ideal firmness for newborns and the flip side offers soy enhanced foam comfort for toddlers (see tag for details).
- Organically woven wool fire protection wrap is non-toxic and the resilient fibers help maintain body temperature.
- Organically woven cotton fabric cover is backed with a water resistant barrier.
- Soy enhanced foam is CertiPUR-US certified which certifies the foam are made without PBDE flame retardants, mercury, lead and other heavy metals.
I bought this mattress direct from the Pottery Barn Kids website for $379. It is an expensive crib mattress.
This mattress has a 2 in 1 design where one side is firm for newborns and the other is softer for when they become older. I didn’t notice much of a difference in feel and there really isn’t substantial difference in material from either side. This seems to be the case for the other 2 in 1 crib mattresses I have purchased.
To give you a better sense of how this mattress is constructed. I opened it so that you can see the inside:
As you can see the cover has the word “organic” on it but I didn’t find that much organic material in this mattress. There are grommets along the sides of the mattress that allow it to breathe:
In the picture below you can see the water proof cover and the first inside layer of the mattress. This is some sort polyester blend that wraps around the entire mattress.
As you can see it has a pocket coil system. This means that each coil is individually wrapped. The coil system is then connected to a steel bar that gives the mattress edge support and stability.
In the picture below, I removed more of the covering and found that there is some cardboard inside the mattress. This must be to provide support but I didn’t find this listed in the construction details. There is what I think is wool which is also blended with something else.
Below is a picture that shows the foam layer. Even though this is a soy based foam, it is by no means organic.
I’m not very impressed with this crib mattress. For the price I was expecting more organic material.