Recently updated on October 10th, 2016 at 08:30 pm
Editor’s Note: This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links. For full details visit the disclosures page.
If you are buying a mattress online, there are a lot of choices. Many of the online brands follow the same model of creating 3 layers of foam and Latex, zipped-up in a bag. But look out for some of the newer offerings that take mattresses to the next level.
Nex-Gen products have been born out of these first gen products and strive to improve on their product weaknesses or downfalls. They offer the same convenience of buying online, trial and return policies, shipped in a box directly to your door, but they rely more on new technologies to offer better quality and better performance for just about the same price.
There’s no clear line for determining a “first generation” or “Nex-Gen” mattress but there are some good rules of thumb that I’ve created to help clarify which is which.
Nex-Gen products can be identified as having one or more of the following key features designed and delivered with the intention of creating a better night’s sleep for the widest possible swath of the consumer population.
- Adjustability – allows for different at-home adjustments to the “feel” of the mattress.
- Functional Fabricated Foam Layers – enhances compressible materials, such as memory foam, to increase performance for support, cooling and the perception of softness.
- Customization – can be accomplished if the mattress is inherently “open” to the inclusion or additional devices or custom parts.
- Having A Selection Algorithm – provides for pre-selection based on logical known sleeper physical attributes.
- Adoption Of Micro Coils – producing a more highly compliant and point elastic sleep surface that relies on spring wire technology, focusing on matching the body shape to add a unique softness perception.
- Structural Gel – producing a more highly compliant and point elastic sleep surface that relies on collapsing column structural gel, focusing on matching the body shape to add a unique softness perception.
- Infused Exotic Materials (with proven health benefits) – not just capable of heat management and or other sleep surface environmental benefits, but where the presence of materials are evident beyond the lab. Something that can be perceived and measured in the product application, beyond the theoretical. Celliant, for example, has many clinical trails and affirmative health reports that have been conducted support a positive health claim. No other infused materials have been so well documented..
- Broader product selection – “some good ‘ol CHOICE” – by delivering a range of products that collectively cover the traditional “feel” categories of from Soft to Firm and from Plush to Non-Plush..
Sleep Sherpa’s “Performance Mattress” Top Pick: Luxi
Luxi is Sleep Sherpa’s top pick “Performance Mattress” because it takes the risk out of buying a mattress online and has brought something truly unique to the market that is also truly “Nex-Gen” that has put them ahead of the pack! Get the Full Review Here
The Luxi mattress a (4) layer foam and Latex mattress that introduces a proprietary SBT foam layer, an evolution in foam mattress construction where the layers can be manually swapped around to create a soft, medium, or firm feels thus widening the gap of feel satisfaction for both individuals and sleep partners. But it is the SBT that is real differentiator.
Benefits of the SBT foam layer include:
- Minimizes Motion Transfer
- Point Elastic Pressure Relief
- Improved Surface Compliance For Better Spinal Alignment
The SBT improves the point elastic behavior of foam. It both mimics and enhances memory foam beneath it while creating a more point elastic surface. It also contributes to the value of the overall mattress construction based on the utility (the adjustability) created in opposition to the one-mattress fits all approach.
It’s also important to note that Luxi is the manufacturer
This insures consistency in the quality and allows them to address any production issue immediately. Luxi also has the physical means to provide customization for special needs and, of course, there is truly no “middle man” to deliver the best in class materials for the best price.
For more information on Performance Mattresses check out:
Get $125 off your Luxi purchase by using the coupon code: LuxiSleepSherpa. Shop Luxi