Editor’s Note: This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links. For full details visit the disclosures page.
This air purifier couldn’t come soon enough. Okaysou recently reached out to me to review one of their products. They sent me the AirMax XL for free to get my opinion on how it stacks up to other brands I have tried. Currently, there are wildfires burning all over California and the air quality where I live in San Diego is very hit or miss. I invested in a Temptop Air Quality detector so that I could get real-time data on just how bad things could get. Most of the time the air quality is fair but certainly not good and despite using high-quality air filters for our house, smoke and ash still gets in through our leaky windows and doors, enough that it is irritating and results in poor sleep.
We have an air purifier in our bedroom but it struggles to keep up and so it was fun to see if the Okaysou Airmax was up to the challenge of keeping the air clean all night.
Overview of the Okaysou Air Purifier
Here’s a quick video overview of how the units works.
Ordering and Unboxing the Okaysou
My Okaysou shipped fast and arrived in the box below. No guessing on what’s inside the box here.
Inside you will find another box.
It’s nice packaging and there was no mistaking that I got the product I ordered. If for some reason you need to return it, you won’t struggle with finding a box.
Once you get through all the cardboard, plastic and styrofoam, you will find the unit itself. Before turning it on, just make sure you take the plastic off the filters inside.
Okaysou AirMax 8L Highlights
Here are some of the main features of this air purifier according to Okaysou
- Medical Grade ULTRA-DUO Filtration System – Okaysou AirMax8L, a multi-use air purifier, odor eliminator, air deodorizer, captures 99.97% of air pollutants like dust, pollen, smoke, pet dander and hair, household odors as small as 0.25 microns; also safely breaks down various harmful gases, such as formaldehyde, ammonia, benzene and VOCs that other 3-stage filter can’t do.
- Premium Features – Advanced turbine motor with 45 vanes, creative internal structure and larger air inlet area (14.17 x 9.52 inches) work together to take in more air and effectively remove pet hair, stubborn odors, smoke and wild fire in your home, helps to relieve your unpleasant symptoms such as runny nose, congestion, shortness of breath and sneezing. Bonus features including child-lock, sleep mode, filter replacement indicator plus auto shut-off protection.
- Perfect for Pet Owners – Combined with 3-Stage Ultra Filtration and 2-Stage Duo Filtration, the air cleaner is designed to capture pet dander and pet hair that can cause breathing problems. CADR is 210, AirMax8L circulates air up to 1.5x per hour in a room size of 800 sq.ft / 3x per hour in 500 sq.ft / 5x per hour in 320 sq.ft, often used in small to large room, living room, bedroom, basement, kitchen, and office. Ideal for home with dogs or cats.
- Touch It and Forget It – Developed with the latest Silenceboost Technology, purifies your home with the lowest noise level of 22dB and provides you undisturbed sweet dream. Compact modern design that fits in any room, any home.
- Superior Safety – 5-year warranty plus lifetime US based customer support. CARB certified- Compliance with California’s strictest safety standards, CE, RoHS certified, and ETL Listed. 100% ozone free. Use genuine and cost-effective Okaysou Duo-filter (B07KCBGRS2) and Ultra-filter (B07KC81LCN) to maintain optimum purification performance.
How Much Does the Okaysou AirMax 8L Cost?
The retail price on this air purifier is $119.95 and you can buy it right from Amazon.
My Okaysou Findings
Less effective air filters only use a HEPA filter an a fan. Knowing this, it isn’t hard to create a makeshift filter with a furnace filter tide to the back of a box fan. But Okaysou takes it to another level. The graphic below lists out all the filters you will find in this device and what impurities they will trap.
First is the HEPA filter.
The anti-bacterial filter can be found on the other side of this filter.
Next is the activated carbon filter.
And finally, the cold catalyst filter. This is a first for me and according to Okaysou it can remove VOCs
Once you get through all the filters, you will see the fan itself.
My Okaysou AirMax 8L Findings
Once I turned the Okaysou on for the first time, I was blown away. This is rated to clean rooms around 500 square feet. Our bedroom is about 2o0 square feet so maybe a bit more than we need but is it very effective. The CADR rating on this model is 210 which means it will clean the air in a 500 sq. ft. room 3 times per hour so even faster for my room.
There are 3 fan speeds on this and if you have a bigger room, you will want to use a higher speed but for my bedroom, I keep it on the lowest setting which is more than enough. At the low setting, it is quiet enough so you can still watch tv without it being annoying. If you prefer white noise, you can just increase the fan speed.
My biggest complaint about this unit and most air purifiers is that there isn’t a way to turn off the LED lights at night. I prefer my room as dark as possible and the lights will really stand out if it is close to your bed. A simple fix is just to put electrical tape over them but the ability to disable the lights would be a nice feature.
My Okaysou AirMax 8L Recommendation
This model is extremely effective at cleaning air to some of the highest standards. If you are used to a simple HEPA air purifier, this is a noticeable upgrade. Thankfully, you don’t need to spend all that much to get the benefits. At under $300 it is an incredible value. It is effective, efficient, quiet and affordable. It is an ideal choice for bedrooms, offices or any other medium-size room where you spend a lot of time. Pet owners will reap the benefits of less dander and less sneezing. But don’t just take my word for it, the Okaysou has hundreds of 5 star reviews on Amazon.