The Marpac DOHM-DS White Noise Sound Machine is the best analog white noise machine I have found. I appreciate analog noise machines over digital because they just have a richer more natural sound. The Marpac has a nice whooshing sound that fills the room without being too noisy. It has a real fan inside that gives you a true analog white noise instead of the often times tinny sounding digital noise you get with typical sound machines. We have used this for the past 4 years with my son since he was a baby and use it when we visit relatives or go on vacations to drown out ambient noise in hotel rooms. It is sturdy and reliable. The noise can be adjusted by turning the housing open or closed. It’s one of the best sleep aids in my arsenal.
Specifications of the Marpac Sound Machine
- Dohm-DS – the Official Sound Conditioner of the National Sleep Foundation.
- Two speeds – dual speed motor, unique asymmetrical fan, and acoustic housing create the soothing sound of rushing air, the Marpac Signature Sound, without the disturbance of actual moving air.
- Customized sound – acoustic housing and dual speed fan allow for fully adjustable tone and volume control for a personalized sound environment.
- Voltage – 120 V, for domestic use only.
- Guarantee – backed by a one-year limited factory warranty and the always exceptional Marpac customer service
What does the Marpac Sound Machine sound like? Below is a video to give you a sense of how it works and what it sounds like. To modify the sound you just turn the outer cover which opens or closes holes in the machine to get different sounds.
The best place to buy the Marpac is on Amazon. Below is a picture of the Amazon listing. As you can see it is an Amazon top choice as well. With over 10,000 reviews with the vast majority being positive.
My Marpac Recommendation
It may seem counter-intuitive to use noise to help you sleep. We bought our Marpac when our daughter was born. The white noise that this produces sounds familiar to what babies are used to in the womb. This is why running a vacuum often calms down fussy babies. As adults it helps keep your brain from being distracted from other noises.
Marpac also introduced a portable version of their sound machine called the Marpac Rohm. I can’t speak to how this performs but this is a digital as opposed to analog sound machine so you may be just as well off using a sound machine app for your phone or packing your analog Marpac which we have done many times.
I wish hotels would start providing these in their rooms. My biggest complaint in hotels is hearing doors slam and elevators ding at night while trying to sleep. Creating quality white noise in each room would lead to less noise complaints and more well-rested guests.
Check out the Amazon Reviews of the Marpac Sound Machine