If you have SAD (seasonal affective disorder) or just crave sunlight in the depths of winter, you’re not alone. An effective way to combat the symptoms of SAD is through light therapy. Sitting in front of a full spectrum light when you wake up has been shown to alleviate some of the symptoms of SAD because it simulates day light and can help reset your circadian rhythm. A new company called Luminette has a portable light therapy solution that in my opinion is one of the best in the market.
According to the Mayo Clinic, these are the following symptoms associated with Seasonal Affective Disorder:
- Feeling depressed most of the day, nearly every day
- Feeling hopeless or worthless
- Having low energy
- Losing interest in activities you once enjoyed
- Having problems with sleeping
- Experiencing changes in your appetite or weight
- Feeling sluggish or agitated
- Having difficulty concentrating
- Having frequent thoughts of death or suicideThe Mayo Clinic has further broken down SAD symptoms by particular season as it doesn’t just occur in the Winter. Below are the particular symptoms for SAD during the Fall and Winter months:
- Tiredness or low energy
- Problems getting along with other people
- Hypersensitivity to rejection
- Heavy, “leaden” feeling in the arms or legs
- Appetite changes, especially a craving for foods high in carbohydrates
- Weight gainSpring and Summer Seasonal Affective disorder is associated with the following symptoms:
- Trouble sleeping (insomnia)
- Weight loss
- Poor appetite
- Agitation or anxiety
I recently received a set of Lucimed Luminette light therapy glasses to help combat the symptoms of SAD. I received them in January and they couldn’t have come at a better time as we are now in the depths of winter in Minnesota and there is very little daylight.
I have reviewed other light therapy glasses in the past and really like the concept of them as glasses as opposed to a light because it frees you up to do other tasks around the house instead of being tied to a particular location.
Below is a video unboxing of the Luminette glasses.
Here’s what you get with the glasses. A nice carrying case to protect them from getting damaged, the glasses themselves, a micro usb cable and charger as well as a microfiber cloth cleaner.
Here’s another shot on my dining room table.
To charge the glasses you just plug the micro usb cable directly into the back of the glasses then to an outlet with the included charger.
Here’s a close up shot of the connection and the lights.
Below is a picture of the glasses turned on. As you can see there is a mirror on the glasses that reflect the light. There is a thin piece of plastic film that protects the mirror which you can remove, just make sure you don’t remove the mirror itself.
Here are the details of the glasses according to their Amazon listing:
- Luminette is for those who are active in the morning and who don’t have time to sit down in front of a light therapy box. They can be worn while carrying on with your daily morning routine
- Thanks to its patented illumination system Luminette provides ideal eyes exposure while keeping vision free. If you wear glasses or contact lenses you can use Luminette® without them impacting your vision or comfort
- The light emitted is a blue-enriched white light. It comes with 3 intensities (500, 1,000 and 1,500 lux). An independent clinical trial has demonstrated that Luminette is equivalent to an 10,000 lux lamp
- Luminette is rechargeable by micro-usb cable; one charge gives autonomy for 10 sessions. Supplied with a US-plug charger
- Luminette is manufactured in Belgium. Luminette has been safely used by more than 50,000 users since 2006. Luminette is certified as “zero-risk” device according to european standard IEC 62471 on photobiological safety
So how did the Luminette glasses work? They are easy to operate and effective for me too! I keep them by my nightstand so that I can put them on in the morning. I make sure to charge them every night but if I skip a day it doesn’t matter as the battery will last. I like that I can go about my tasks in the morning without having to be parked near a dedicated light. You don’t need to wear them for long. About 20-30 minutes is plenty to get you the benefits. I also appreciate the space saving aspect. They fit in my nightstand and don’t stand out like a normal light therapy lamp would.
Living so far north in Minneapolis, we experience not only extremes in temperatures but also in daylight. People really slow down over the winter months and it’s hard to find the energy to get outside or even visit friends. During the summer months it’s the opposite where everyone is out and we maximize our daylight.
Having the luminette at the ready helps even out the ups and downs that the seasons in Minnesota bring.
You can try out the Luminette to see if it is right for you via their rental program. You can rent the glasses for a month for $39. If you decide you don’t like them you can let the company know and they will allow you to ship it back to them. If you decide you like them and want to keep them, you just pay the cost of the glasses minus the $39 you already paid for the rental.
The Luminette glasses can be purchased on Amazon and retail for $199. Expect to get many years of use out of these glasses and keep them in mind as the season change to keep you on an even keel.