Lucid Dreaming Tips: How to Have Lucid Dreams
Do you have times when you wake up and can vividly remember your dream and why you dreamed it? For instance, if you ran into a friend you have not seen in years and then had a dream about going on a picnic with them, you know why you had that dream. Then there are other times when you cannot remember your dream. In most cases, dreams reflect real life, but there are times when they are completely random and can be controlled. This is known as lucid dreaming. It is when you are fully aware that you are having a dream and can do whatever you want. With lucid dreaming, your imagination is the limit, so anything can happen.
Here are a few tips on how to have lucid dreams:
- Think about lucid dreaming before bedtime: Your chances of having a lucid dream are much higher when you make it the last thing you think about before hitting the hay. This is due to the fact that everything related to dreams is psychological. This means that when you think about lucid dreaming, your brain may become more aware of your surroundings even when you are sleeping.
- Do not wake up: There can be times when your lucid dream is so exciting that you wake up. Doesn’t it just frustrate you when that happens? However, you can usually tell if you are about to wake up from your sleep. If you feel like you are gaining consciousness, calm yourself down and slowly rub your hands. Although there is no known reason why it works, in most cases, it does. Another very strange way to stay asleep is to turn in a circle and fall to the floor.
- Have a consistent sleep routine: This tip is an obvious one. Your melatonin, or body clock, is set by going to bed and waking up at about the same time every day. You have mornings when you wake up 5 minutes before your alarm goes off, right? That is, your melatonin working. However, keep in mind that it cannot work if you do not have a consistent or proper sleep schedule.
- Sleep in complete darkness: According to scientific research, your levels of melatonin are the highest at night while you sleep in complete darkness, around the time that you are dreaming. This helps in promoting vivid dreams and improving dream recall. The ideal situation would be when there is no difference in darkness when you open your eyes as when you close them. When you sleep with a light on, it decreases the quality of dreams and your internal clock gets messed up as the melatonin level in your body is brought down. Do not let light spoil your dreams.
- Recall what happened throughout the day: This is a great thing to do while you are lying down before falling asleep. Start from the very beginning of your day and try to recall as many details as possible. What was the color of the car that sped past you on your way to work? Who served you at the restaurant? What was the color of his or her eyes? Go through the entire day and recall the events as well as you can. Practicing this each night will encourage you to increase your awareness levels subconsciously. You will be practicing lucid living without much effort in no time.
- Eat lucid foods: Yup, lucid foods exist! There are certain foods that increase melatonin production, therefore making it easier for you to attain lucidity. Did you know that a teaspoon of mustard before going to bed can actually increase your chances of having a lucid dream? Lucid foods include white mustard, black mustard, sunflower seeds, almonds, oats, flax seeds, cherries, rice, poppy seeds, red radishes, tomatoes and of course, banana. Milk, eggs, fish, sweet potatoes, broccoli, lentils, and mushrooms are other lucid-friendly foods that also contain tryptophan. Include these foods in your regular diet will help you have lucid dreams more frequently than you did in the past.
Learning to have lucid dreams is fun, frustrating, daunting, bizarre, intensive and euphoric, yet lucid dreaming is ultimately an experience that is life changing and hugely rewarding. Like any other skill, learning to have lucid dreams is one that develops over time. There is no magical secret that can be passed from one person to another. However, the tips mentioned above can help immensely in giving you, lucid dreams more frequently.