Editor’s Note: This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links. For full details visit the disclosures page.
The Eight Sleep Pod is more than just a mattress, It’s a next-generation sleep system. In fact, it was named one of Time magazine’s best inventions of 2019. I first experienced the Eight Sleep Pod when I was invited by Eight Sleep at the Standard Hotel in New York where Eight Sleep outfitted a room with the Pod mattress for me to try. This mattress has a heating and cooling system where you can control the temperature of the mattress in 2 zones so for instance, you can cool the mattress while at the same time your partner heats it up. All of this is controlled and monitored with the Eight Sleep app you use on your phone. I was sent another system to test out back in Minneapolis and these are my findings.
Overview of the Eight Sleep Pod
Here’s an overview of how it works, how to set it up and most importantly how it feels.
When you order your sleep system it will come shipped in a box like this. The mattress is roll packed and the smart technology comes in a separate smaller box.
It’s very easy to get everything set up. You basically just zip the grid system to the mattress and plug in the hose to the water pump system.
Once everything is setup it looks just like a normal mattress. The water pump is small and quiet.
What Makes the Eight Sleep Pod Unique?
This is more than just a mattress. The technology embedded is game-changing and will make you rethink sleep. Here are the capabilities of the mattress so far according to their website:
- Dynamic temperature: The Pod allows for you to control the full range of temperature on either side of the Pod to enjoy a cooler environment for deeper, longer and uninterrupted sleep. The temperature controls range from 55 to 115 degrees Fahrenheit. This is especially useful in the summer months when you need to cool down at night without cranking up the AC.
- Smart temperature mode: Powered by machine learning and biofeedback, the smart temperature mode in the app automatically adjusts the temperature of your bed throughout the night for optimal sleep. Eight Sleep members have the option to engage smart temperature mode within the app.
- Thermo alarm: Leverage temperature to wake up more naturally and without disturbing a sleeping partner using a thermo alarm that begins to gradually cool the bed minutes prior to the set wake-up time. You can set the specific temperature you want your thermo alarm to wake you up at as part of your Smart Temp profile to ensure a more cohesive temperature flow from bedtime until morning. Set Wake Up temperature experiences to repeat on any day of the week to maintain consistency for a positive morning start.
- HRV variations can help users track their health and anticipate illness or fatigue if they see significant drops in this metric. The Pod now allows for constant monitoring of HRV, alongside other biometrics like Resting Heart Rate, Respiratory Rate, Sleep Stages, and Sleep Time.
- Biometric tracking: The Pod seamlessly monitors over a dozen physiological and environmental data points such as: time slept, time to fall asleep, time of wake up, respiratory rate, heart rate, heart rate variability, temperature in bed, sleep breaks, light sleep, deep sleep and REM sleep.
- Sleep coaching: Eight Sleep’s AI-engine calculates your sleep fitness score and sleep patterns, provides recommended Pod settings and allows you to compare with your friends and peers.
- Smart Home Integrations: The Pod integrates with any other Wi-Fi-enabled devices such as c your Alexa, Google Home, Philips Hue lights or your Wemo coffee maker, etc.
How Much does the Eight Pod Cost?
Below are the current prices of the Pod before applying the $200 coupon code, SHERPA200
Construction of the Pod Mattress
Here are the construction details of the mattress. What you get is a comfortable, four-layer foam mattress with some unbeatable cooling and heating technology.
- Active Grid technology: The Pod’s signature layer is unlike anything you’ve ever slept on. Its patent-pending grid design offers targeted pressure point relief thanks to its perforated surface and malleable material. In addition to comfort and support, it houses the thermoregulation and sensor network that make the smart thermostat and biometric tracking possible.
- Adaptive foam bed: The bed was designed with your comfort in mind, made of four layers of adaptive foam for contouring comfort on any sleep position.
- Hub: The Hub is the engine to the product’s thermoregulation capabilities and attaches to the Pod. It houses a water tank and connects to Wi-Fi, enabling seamless control of all Pod functionalities through the Eight Sleep mobile app.
- Eight Sleep App: Control your Pod through our sleek and intuitive mobile interface. Adjust your temperature, browse your sleep stats and interact with your sleep coach all from the palm of your hands.
My Eight Sleep Pod Findings
It’s important to remember that you aren’t just getting another mattress in a box. Just as Peleton exercise bikes made people rethink home gyms, Eight Sleep is making people rethink sleep entirely. The Eight Sleep app can control the temperature of the mattress but also provides excellent feedback on how you slept, the quality of your sleep, when you slept best and how you can get better sleep. The more you sleep on the mattress the more data you get which gives you better guidance.
Here’s a pic of the interface. Controlling each side is easy as you can just adjust the dial with your finger.
What makes this such a cool mattress is that you can adjust the temperature on each side. It’s easy to heat a mattress and if the Pod did just that, it wouldn’t be worth writing about but the fact that it can cool and heat at the same time is remarkable. Using a Flir thermal camera, you can see just how much variation in temperature you get when turning one side down and the other all the way up.
Here’s a shot of the app where you can adjust the temperature. It’s very intuitive. Since I have installed the app I have noticed regular performance updates as well.
What makes this even more remarkable is that it can do all this with very little water. Other devices similar to this require more water and a conditioning unit on each side of the bed. They are also louder. This machine is whisper quiet and has a sophisticated processor with wifi built in to communicate data to you your phone.
Here’s a picture of the water reservoir that you will need to occasional fill due to evaporation.
This is what the mattress looks like. I like the darker color as it just has a more sophisticated look. Not like you will see it that under the sheets but I appreciate that they deviate from the standard white.
The cover that houses all the technology is also removable. You just unzip it from the mattress.
How Does the Eight Sleep Pod Feel?
This mattress is a 4 layer foam mattress so there is no motion transfer. It has excellent pressure relief as well. You can feel the tubes on the top of the mattress when you run your hand across and it will feel a little firm when you sit on it but when I slept on the mattress, I didn’t feel the tubes and had great support and pressure relief.
Here’s a photo with my 14 lb. bowling ball to illustrate how much the mattress contours.
This mattress was designed to accommodate for the heating/cooling grid and adding this technology to your existing mattress would certainly change the feel so it makes sense that this is sold as a package as a lot of prototypes were developed to get the feel just right.
The Eight Sleep Pod Pro
Eight Sleep recently launched the Eight Sleep Pod Pro. This is an upgraded version of the Eight Sleep Pod. Here’s the difference between the two.
First there is a significant difference in price. If you want a softer, more contouring feel, I would suggest upgrading to the Pod Pro
Here are the other advantages of the Pro which make it a substantial upgrade.
|Comfort Blend integrated topper||No||Yes|
|Dual zone heating and cooling||Yes||Yes|
|Room climate and weather response||No||Yes|
|Advanced sleep tracking||Yes||Yes|
|Dailty health check and HRV monitoring||No||Yes|
|Gentle rise wakeup technology||No||Yes|
|Free Android/IOS app||Yes||Yes|
My Eight Sleep Pod Recommendation
Eight Sleep is setting a new paradigm for sleep tracking and sleep comfort. They make tracking and monitoring your sleep effortless by embedding the technology into the mattress so there’s no need to set anything or wear any device. You also get a temperature regulation system that will help you fall asleep faster. Conversely, this system can help you wake up without the need for a loud alarm clock. You can set the mattress to gradually cool until you wake up. By cooling down, your body will want to maintain its temperature and increase your heart rate which will cause you to awaken.
Aside from comfort and partner disturbance, temperature is the most important factor in falling and staying asleep. Eight sleep checks all three boxes with the Pod.
Get $250 off your Eight Sleep Pod with coupon code SHERPA200 at checkout Activate Here