Recently updated on August 11th, 2020 at 12:05 am
Editor’s Note: This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links. For full details visit the disclosures page.
The Del Mar mattress from Brentwood Home is an innerspring mattress with a top layer of gel foam and airlux foam. Like most of the Brentwood Home line, it has a natural wool fire barrier. It is firmer than the Oceano and softer than the Avalon, the other two spring mattresses in their line. It is a great mattress for people that enjoy a traditional innerspring feel with the benefits of some foam at a great price.
Brentwood Home Del Mar Overview
Below is me on the Del Mar mattress. Notice the stitched handles that make it easy to move and rotate. This mattress has furniture grad upholstered edges that not only look great but will hold up well. This mattress comes with a generous 120 night trial period. Brentwood makes all their mattresses in their factory in Los Angeles. They have been in the mattress business for over 30 years and really know their stuff. In 2016 they launched the Del Mar along with other models with California place names. The mattresses feel as great as they look.
Construction of the Bentwood Home Del Mar
This is how the Del Mar mattress is made according to the Brentwood Home website.
- Belgian stretch knit
- 1-inch New Zealand wool layer
- 2-inch gel memory foam layer
- 2-inch ventilated airflow layer
- 8-inch 5-zone Quantum®Edge Combi-Zone® Coil System
- Medium feel
- Our medium beds are where plush and firm make friends. This feel is great for side, stomach, and back sleepers alike, or for couples with different sleep preferences.
- CertiPUR-US Certified Gel Memory Foam adds pressure relief and sleeps cool for your comfort.
- 5-zone individually wrapped base coils support every inch of your body where you need it most.
- New Zealand wool liner wicks away moisture and is naturally antimicrobial for a cooler, fresher mattress.
- Belgian 4-way stretch knit with a wider, cushion-quilt design complements the medium feel.
- 4 upholstered handles to easily move or adjust your bed without hassle.
- Handmade in our workshops right here in LA and certified free of ALL unhealthy chemicals, including harmful fire retardants, phthalates, and heavy metals.
- 25-year warranty and 120-Night Guarantee
Below is a video of me bouncing my bowling ball on the mattress to show you how much bounce you will get and how much motion transfer you can expect. Since it is a zoned pocket coil system, it contains motion well. The foam at the top layer will dampen most of your partners movements while the pocket coils will contain movement since they all work independently.
This mattress doesn’t sleep hot either. I think that’s because they use natural wool as the fire barrier which helps regulate temperature. The foam used in this mattress is not all that dense either so it doesn’t trap as much heat. Because there are pocket coils underneath the foam, it can breath more than an all foam mattress.
Here’s a clip of me using my infrared camera to show how quickly heat dissipates from the surface of the mattress. I recommend this mattress for hot sleepers because of the construction.
The Brentwood Home Del Mar is a mattress that should appeal to most sleepers. You won’t sink into this mattress all that much but just enough so that you will be comfortable sleeping on your side, stomach or back. In comparison, you will sink much more into the Oceano which is hand-tufted and has microcoils that give it a pillow top feel. I recommend the Del Mar to sleepers that want just enough cushion to be comfortable.
The Oceano is a decadent, overindulgent mattress (which many people crave), while the Del Mar is the often overlooked but undervalued moderate feel. The Avalon has a spartan feel which is perfect for people that like a firm mattress. If you shy away from pillow tops but enjoy the comfort that foam can deliver, I think the Del Mar would be a great choice.