CBD Oil has come under the spotlight, especially in the US, in recent times and has been touted for its many health benefits. Its association with marijuana, however, is still perceived negatively by many who ergo keep this wonderful oil at bay. In this article, we will take a closer look at some of CBD oil benefits and the science behind it. Without any further ado, let’s get started.
A whopping 100 million adults in the US are now officially either diabetic or pre-diabetic, and the epidemic seems to be creeping into minors as well. A study in the Journal of the American Medical Association has revealed that over 32% of American men and over 35% of American women are obese (more than just overweight).
While everyone has a row about whether a plant-based diet is a way to go or a ketogenic diet is truly what can help reverse type 2 diabetics, we should not overlook CBD oil benefits for both diabetes and obesity.
So, what do the studies say?
- A 2011 American Journal of Epidemiology study found that rates of obesity in a sample group as large as 52,000 cannabis users were only 1/3rd the prevalent rates in the general population.
- Another study found that the use of CBD resulted in a lowering of the diabetes incidence rate in mice.
- Research supports that CBD aides in weight loss by acting as a catalyst in the conversion of white fat into brown fat.
Improved Cholesterol Profile and Reduced Risk of Heart Disease
A Staggering 1 in 4 deaths in the US is due to heart disease. Again, while lifestyle, diet and genetic predisposition are some of the main factors that determine your risk of a heart attack or heart disease. There are certainly other things along the way that can either add to the risk or take away from it. Thankfully, CBD oil benefits include a reduction in the risk of heart disease and also an improved cholesterol profile as studies have concluded.
- A study from 2013 concluded that CBD oil users had a higher level of good cholesterol in their blood than their counterparts.
- More studies also provide evidence to support that endocannabinoid signaling plays a crucial role in the pathology of atherogenesis.
- Initial clinical studies on animals also proved that CBD oil in low orally ingested doses had a cardioprotective effect during the induction of a heart attack.
Lowered Risk of Cancer
CBD oil benefits are several, but there is a growing amount of evidence which is starting to suggest that it might have some tumor-fighting properties as well.
- Animal trials conducted in 2012 suggests that animals that were medicated with CBD oil actually responded positively in terms of a reduction in the likelihood of developing colon cancer. These animals were deliberately given carcinogens for the sake of the test.
- Numerous studies have already shown that THC doesn’t only prevent tumors but also helps in preventing them in the first place.
- A 2015 data analysis done by scientists where the records of 84,000 male patients revealed that patients that had used cannabis, and not tobacco had a 45% lower bladder cancer rate than the other group.
Mental Health Benefits
CBD oil and cannabinoids, in general, are neuroprotective, which means that they play a vital role in regulating brain health. One of the ways in which CBD oil does this is by removal of damaged cell, and another is through improved efficiency of mitochondria. Furthermore, CBD Oil is also said to reduce glutamate toxicity which is responsible for over firing of brain cells by over – stimulation which causes pre – mature cell death.
- A recent study suggests that CBD oil benefits include having an anti-inflammatory effect on the brain.
- Another study, which was done in 2008, in lower dosages, CBD oil actually stimulated the birth and development of new brain cells, even in older brains.
- CBD oil benefits the brain and protects against Alzheimer’s and other nerve-related degenerative diseases.
Protection Against Bone Disease
The bone that is aging is replaced by the new bone substrate, and the rate at which this happens annually is approximately 10% in humans. This process is natural and critical for strong, healthy bones and skeletal framework altogether. There are numerous CBD oil benefits when it comes to healthy bones in humans.
- A study using CBD oil showed that CBD oil actually reduced the build-up for destructive bone compounds that work by destroying bone-building compounds.
- CBD explicitly also stimulates the process of healing of broken bones at an accelerated rate, as per another study.
- Another CBD oil benefit is protection against recurring fracture in a bone that has already been fractured once and is vulnerable to another. This study revealed that fractured and healed bones in the CBD focus group were 35% stronger, on average, that the non – CBD counterpart.
Fights Skin Ailments and Helps Keep Skin Healthy
In human physiology, the skin is the organ with the single highest concentration of CB2 receptors. CBD oil can literally be applied topically on the skin, and there are a multitude of CBD oil benefits for the skin when it is used this way.
- It helps repair against free radical damage, reverse free radical damage and could also prevent free radical damage on the skin to a certain extent as per studies.
- It can help in the proper regulation of oil from the sebaceous glands of the skin
- CBD oil based topical creams and oils are already popular products for the treatment of skin conditions such as acne and even psoriasis.
Worry not, Cannabis when used topically cannot be psychoactive, and so you will not experience any “high.”
Anti-Inflammatory Benefits of CBD
Several studies have concluded that CBD oil has anti-inflammatory benefits. It does this by way of engaging with the Endocannabinoid system across all organs of the human body and assists in bring down inflammation. Inflammation is the cause of a wide range of diseases and the fact that CBD oil benefits include anti-inflammatory properties make it even more of a holistic medicine than initially thought.
Cortisol is the stress hormone, and in this day and age, it is usually elevated in the average American. The plant has been used from centuries ago to reduce anxiety and calm down people. However, it must be noted that some studies have shown that in certain patients, Cannabis can have a reverse effect and actually increase anxiety and even lead to panic attacks.
In general, CBD oil is shown to reduce stress-related activity in the Limbic and Paralimbic parts of the brain directly.
Other better – known CBD oil benefits, include the treatment of Insomnia and other sleep disorders and also to alleviate pain naturally, it is said to be one of the most effective treatments.
At Sleep Sherpa, its our constant endeavor to provide our readers with up to date information that is accurate and easy to digest. Apart from the informative article above, we have also developed an infographic that you can share on social media. Feel free to share.