Recently updated on December 16th, 2017 at 08:06 am
The Marpac DOHM-DS White Noise Sound Machine is the best analog white noise machine I have found. I appreciate analog noise machines over digital because they just have a richer more natural sound. The Marpac has a nice whooshing sound that fills the room without being too noisy. It has a real fan inside that gives you a true analog white noise instead of the often times tinny sounding digital noise you get with typical sound machines. We have used this for the past 4 years with my son since he was a baby and use it when we visit relatives or go on vacations to drown out ambient noise in hotel rooms. It is sturdy and reliable. The noise can be adjusted by turning the housing open or closed. It’s one of the best sleep aids in my arsenal.
Specifications of the Marpac Sound Machine
- Dohm-DS – the Official Sound Conditioner of the National Sleep Foundation.
- Two speeds – dual speed motor, unique asymmetrical fan, and acoustic housing create the soothing sound of rushing air, the Marpac Signature Sound, without the disturbance of actual moving air.
- Customized sound – acoustic housing and dual speed fan allow for fully adjustable tone and volume control for a personalized sound environment.
- Voltage – 120 V, for domestic use only.
- Guarantee – backed by a one-year limited factory warranty and the always exceptional Marpac customer service
What does the Marpac Sound Machine sound like? Below is a video to give you a sense of how it works and what it sounds like. To modify the sound you just turn the outer cover which opens or closes holes in the machine to get different sounds.
The best place to buy the Marpac is on Amazon. Below is a picture of the Amazon listing. As you can see it is an Amazon top choice as well. With over 10,000 reviews with the vast majority being positive.
My Marpac Recommendation
It may seem counter-intuitive to use noise to help you sleep. We bought our Marpac when our daughter was born. The white noise that this produces sounds familiar to what babies are used to in the womb. This is why running a vacuum often calms down fussy babies. As adults it helps keep your brain from being distracted from other noises.
Marpac also introduced a portable version of their sound machine called the Marpac Rohm. I can’t speak to how this performs but this is a digital as opposed to analog sound machine so you may be just as well off using a sound machine app for your phone or packing your analog Marpac which we have done many times.
I wish hotels would start providing these in their rooms. My biggest complaint in hotels is hearing doors slam and elevators ding at night while trying to sleep. Creating quality white noise in each room would lead to less noise complaints and more well-rested guests.
Check out the Amazon Reviews of the Marpac Sound Machine
Recently updated on December 16th, 2018 at 02:33 pm
Editor’s Note: This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links. For full details visit the disclosures page.
Brainwave-Oriented Sleep Companion
Made by Oregon Scientific
If your bedroom is exposed to street and other noises that keep you awake, or if you find that sounds like falling rain lulls you to sleep, then the DreamScience Sleep Companion may be the perfect sleep aide for you. The DreamScience Sleep Companion will cocoon you in an envelope of 20 different sleep inducing soundscapes.
According to the manufacturer, Oregon Scientific, “the DreamScience Sleep Companion envelops you in a calming buffer of soundscapes programmed and clinically proven to help you gently fall asleep, stay asleep, and reach deeper, more restful levels of sleep. The technologies utilized by DreamScience let you reset your sleep routine, helping to reduce stress, restore energy and improve your focus”.
Manufacturer Feature List:
- Produces 20 different clinically proven soundscapes designed by Dr. Lee Bartel at the University of Toronto
- Soundscapes are designed to complement and entrain the brains natural delta, alpha and beta brain waves for a quicker and deeper sleep experience
- Patented Sleep Enhancement Technology that lulls you to sleep by gradually slowing the rhythm of playback
- Selectable wake up soundscapes to gently wake you from your sleep
- Option to turn on six selectable mood backlights
- Option to enable a sleep timer for 30, 60 or 90 minute in addition to continuous playback
- Digital clock
- Includes line-in port and 3.5mm audio cable to use the DreamScience speaker for other audio devices such as your favorite music app on your phone
- Powered by an included AC adapter or 4-AA batteries (not included)
- DreamScience Sleep Companion
- USB power adapter plug
- USB power cable
- 3.5mm audio cable (for external music device such as a smartphone)
- CR2032 “button” style battery (to retain system settings in the event of a power failure to unit)
- Instruction booklet
The DreamScience Sleep Companion is easy to setup. The selection of soundscapes include rain, ocean surf, whales, waterfall, forest sounds and basic white noise among others. The speaker provides rich, soothing but not over powering soundscape levels.
We found all the soundscapes soothing and warm. We did not use the mood lights while sleeping as we prefer total dark, but some may prefer the mood light to be on to act as a soothing night light.
We preferred the “rain”, “revitalize” and “meditate” soundscapes. The family cats liked the “bird” sounds for obvious reasons. That said, we found all of them relaxing except perhaps “thunder” although even that one is not harsh but more of a distant rumble. Thinking about “thunder”, it may be of use as a gentle way to acclimate a pet who has a fear of thunderstorms. Given the range of soundscapes, everyone should be able to find one or more to be soothing and restful.
Because the DreamScience Sleep Companion is small and battery powered, it is also ideal for travel. It helps mask out noisy hotel hallways and busy street traffic giving you restful sleep before that important business meeting.
Do you meditate or do yoga? The soundscapes can also calm you into that perfect meditative state. An extra bonus!
We also plugged a smartphone into the AUX port using the provided 3.5mm standard audio cable and used it to play music. Once plugged in, the volume controls on your smartphone can be used to adjust your selected music’s sound level from very soft to very loud. While not intended to be a high performance audio speaker it does give a good music listening experience.
To sum up, the DreamScience Sleep Companion functions as your:
- Wake up alarm
- Music speaker
- Mood light / night light
- And most importantly, a sleep inducing and calming soundscape player
Disclosure: We aim to highlight products and services you might find interesting, and if you buy them, we may get a small share of the revenue.