Best Tea for Sleep | Find Out Which is Best for You
This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links. For full details visit the disclosures page.
Best Tea for Sleeping Problems
Millions of people all over the world spend their nights tossing and turning in bed rather than getting that much-needed rest that everyone craves. If you are one of these people, you know how terrible it feels not to get enough sleep – you wake up feeling groggy instead of refreshed and revitalized and lack energy for the rest of the day. Have you ever thought of trying out a cup of tea before going to bed? It could do wonders in helping you get that restful sleep that you need so badly.
Here is a look at some of the best teas to help you sleep:
- Lemon Balm Tea: Does drinking lemon balm tea seem like the last thing that could help you sleep? Well, it actually works. Although it sounds pretty unlikely, lemon balm tea is excellent for people with insomnia. If you have difficulty sleeping, this is one of the best herbal teas for you as it helps in treating indigestion and anxiety and also reducing stress. You can mix it with other herbs like chamomile and valerian to increase its effectiveness.
- Lavender Tea: Everyone knows that lavender smells amazing and that it has quite a few medicinal properties that help treat a number of health issues. You can use lavender tea to help you sleep as it is quite an effective sleeping aid. All you need is a small cup of lavender tea to ease your body and mind and help you fall asleep. It works great for kids and adults alike and is a much safer sleeping aid than OTC products.
- Chamomile Tea: There is no better herbal tea than chamomile tea when it comes to feeling calm and relaxed. Because of this, it is one of the most effective natural sleeping aids. It is also packed with antimicrobial properties and antioxidants, making it highly beneficial to your overall health. Chamomile tea, apart from helping you sleep, can prevent cancer and treat diabetes and high cholesterol.
- Peppermint Tea: Peppermint is an excellent aid for digestion, and it also helps you relax, which is why peppermint tea is a great herbal tea for sleeping. With its soothing taste, peppermint tea is one of the best tea to help people with sleep problems. It contains menthol, which relaxes and calms the body and mind. It may also be able to stimulate vivid and pleasant dreams, so sip on a cup of peppermint tea every night before you go to bed.
- Valerian Root Tea: Have you heard of valerian root? If not, you are missing out on one of the best herbal teas for sleep. It contains compounds that have mild sedative properties with phytochemicals that activate those compounds to send the brain a message that it is time to sleep. Valerian root tea is safe and is the best choice for people who suffer from mood problems, anxiety as well as insomnia.
- Magnolia Bark Tea: For centuries, many countries in Asia have been using magnolia bark tea to treat anxiety and nervous disorders. However, recent studies have shown that it is an effective sleep aid. Magnolol, the main ingredient of the herb, acts as a mild sedative and effectively helps people fall into a deep, peaceful sleep.
- Turmeric and Ginger Tea: From ginger cookies to ginger ale, ginger makes everything taste delicious. It also has a number of different health benefits thanks to its natural antiviral and antibiotic properties. When you combine ginger with turmeric, you get the perfect herbal tea with anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer properties. The combination of these two ingredients also helps in creating an effective sleep aid. One of the best things about turmeric and ginger tea is that it is easy to make as you probably have the two ingredients readily available in your kitchen.
Herbal teas are fantastic as they not only help you relax and relieve stress and anxiety but also come with many other health benefits, such as fighting cancer, diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. If you are tired of sleepless nights, do not head to the chemist for OTC sleep aids. Try out different herbal teas instead and find out which one works best for you. OTC medications may also have serious side effects and can be addictive. Stop wasting your money on medications that do more harm than good. You will find it much more beneficial to drink a cup of soothing herbal tea before bedtime – let the tea do its work and help you fall into sweet slumber and wake up refreshed, ready to tackle the day.