Editor’s Note: This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links. For full details visit the disclosures page.
A mattress is the first thing that pops into everyone’s head when they think of a good night’s rest. However, a mattress is not the only thing that you should be looking for. To get that perfect night of snooze, you need to have that perfect pillow to go with your mattress.
Pillows can be the deal maker for a good sound sleep. And just like mattresses, they come in varying sizes, shapes, and fillings to make for differing firmness, sleekness, postures, height, etc. Amidst all of these options, it can be an overwhelming task to find the pillow that is just right for you. This list of top pillows will help you in this endeavor and get you the best possible sleep there is. You can be looking for pocket-friendly options or be on the lookout for a specialized pillow; this list covers all requirements and ranges through all budgets. You are sure to find the right one for you and your family.
How to Pick the Right Pillow
You might prefer a soft pillow to a firm one, or you might want a high pillow to a lower height one. However, whatever your needs, the one thing that you should rank first on your list when out and about for pillow shopping is the level of support it gives you. First comes support, then comes comfort.
The most important function of your pillow is to support your head, neck, and shoulders to support optimal spine alignment and maintain a healthy posture. “Neutral Spine Alignment” is imperative to support your body structure and prevent posture problems leading to neck cricks and pains, shoulder stiffness, lower back discomfort, etc. Neutral spine alignment happens when your spine’s natural C-curve is supported properly.
The other things that should be on your mind include:
- Sleeping Position Preference: Different types of sleepers prefer different types of pillows. The preferences are:
- Stomach Sleepers: They are more comfortable with flatter and relatively softer pillows that do not wedge the head up too high
- Side Sleepers: They prefer thicker pillows, which help them keep their spine well aligned with their neck and head during sleep
- Back Sleepers: They are the most flexible of the lot. Though they do tend to be most comfortable with medium pillows
- Price Point
- Cooling Functionality
- Pressure Support
- Firmness and Loft Level Preference
- Cover Material
- Wash Care
- Warranty Policy
This pillow is offered by Brooklinen as an alternative to a down pillow. It gives you all the softness and comfort of a down pillow without being an actual down. This pillow makes an excellent choice for vegans and allergy-prone people.
It is available in 3 levels of firmness to cater to almost all the requirements. These are:
- Plush: This is recommended for stomach sleepers. It is the softest variety and helps maintain proper spinal alignment for those dozing on their tummy by allowing your head to “sink” into the Plushness of the pillow
- Mid Plush: This is a soft-medium firm pillow. The firmness offered makes it ideal for the conventional back sleepers. It elevates the head but not by too much
- Firm: The firm option is the hardest of the three and suitable for side sleepers. This will help them keep their head elevated sideways at a proper level with their spine
- Made in the US
- Competitive price point
- Additional Discounts when purchasing three or more pillows
- Features a Polyfill Interior
- 100% Cotton Cover
- Available in 3 levels of firmness
- One-year easy return and exchange
- All Sleep Positions
- Those looking for down Plushness in an alternative form
- Down allergic
- Value for money
Mid – Plush
Bear Pillow is the absolute showstopper when it comes to cooling pillows. It very effectively incorporates breathability in its design, which pulls the heat away from your head. It is made of “Phase Change Material” that allows it to remain cool no matter which side you sleep on. It is filled with Bear brand’s proprietary foam material that brings a level of spring to the firmness, making it comfortable. The foam is also incorporated with easy ventilation to further help cool down this pillow.
- Medium level firmness
- Mesh panels on either end
- Proprietary foam
- Hypoallergenic and Antimicrobial
- 5 inches of height
- Available in king and queen Size
- Spot clean only
- Two years limited warranty
- 100 nights of sleep trial
- Back and Side Sleepers
- Hot sleepers
- Medium Firmness preference
- Sensitive people
The Layla Kapok Pillow is made of a combination of shredded memory foam along with kapok fibers. These kapok fibers are sustainably harvested from trees in Indonesia and together combine to give you the optimal level of support and comfort.
The cover is made of woven copper fibers that naturally take the heat away from your face to give you cool comfort through the night. The cover comes with a zippered opening to help you wash it easily, and this opening also lets you adjust the height of the pillow.
- Loft level can be adjusted
- Made of memory foam and kapok fibers
- Zippered cover
- Machine washable
- 120 nights of sleep trial
- 5-year warranty
- Large side sleepers
- After adjustments can be used by back and stomach sleepers
- Hot sleepers on memory foam
Pillow is another top-rated down alternative for people with allergies or who prefer the down softness without the actual down. It is made of polyester microfiber that gives you similar down Plushness without any animal products. It’s perfect for side or back sleepers
- Medium-soft firmness
- Polyester microfiber filling
- Has a 3.5 inch gusset surrounding the pillow
- Resistant to lumpiness
- 60 nights of sleep trial
- Back and side sleepers
- Those who like down softness
- Allergic to down
- Looking for pillow not prone to lumpiness
The memory foam pillow from Swtmerry is made up of shredded memory foam and polyester fiber. The pillow comes with a zippered cover, which allows you to add or remove the filling to get the right amount of loftiness you want. This also means that you can customize the thickness and firmness to suit your individual preference. The filling is soft and springy to give you just the right amount of bounce.
- Medium to high firmness
- 80% Shredded memory foam and 20% Polyester fiber filling
- The cover is 60% polyester and 40% rayon derived from bamboo
- Zippered cover to allow customization
- Both pillow and cover is machine washable
- 100 days easy return policy
- Filling adjustments make it suitable for all sleepers
- For those looking to alleviate neck pain and lower back discomfort
- People with allergies
The Coops Home Goods Eden Pillow is cooler than other memory foam pillows. It is made of cross-cut memory foam along with a microfiber that is infused with gel. It also sports a gusset along its perimeter that promotes structure and airflow.
- Hypoallergenic with CertiPUR-US and GREENGUARD Certification
- Dust and mite resistant
- The filler amount is adjustable
- Zippered cover and liner
- Comes with extra fill
- Cover and lining are machine washable
- 100 nights of sleep trial
- Five-year warranty
- All sleeping preferences
- People with allergies
- Hot sleepers
Hullo Pillow (Buckwheat)
If you are looking for a buckwheat fill pillow, then you shouldn’t look beyond Hullo Pillow. It is the top-rated adjustable buckwheat pillow with excellent support and structure. The pillow is filled with buckwheat kernels known for providing optimal ventilation, comfort, and good spinal alignment support.
- 100% Buckwheat kernel filling
- The filling is sourced and grown in the US
- The cover is 100% pre-shrunk organic twill cotton
- The cover is machine washable
- Adjustable firmness
- 60-night sleep trial
- Side and back sleepers
- Hot sleepers
- Ecologically conscious people
Standard Textile Chamber is known for its luxurious pillows. The pillow features a three-chamber construction that allows for the filling to remain evenly distributed through the years and not lose its buoyancy. Two outer chambers feature hypoallergenic polyester and surround the inner chamber that holds sterilized feathers, giving you the ultimate plush.
- The filling is made of polyester and sterilized feathers
- The cover is 100% cotton
- Double stitching for extra durability
- Sold in pairs only
- Available in three sizes
- Feature OEKO-TEX certification for being free of any harmful substances
- 90-day return policy
- People looking for hotel quality pillows
- Want down type Plushness
- Looking for fully machine washable pillows
Best Pillows FAQs
Which Pillow Suits Side Sleepers Best?
To maintain a neutral spinal alignment, it is best for side sleepers to get a pillow that is on the firm side with a lower loft
After How Long Should Pillows Be Replaced?
Pillows generally need to be replaced after 1 to 2 years. However, it also depends on the quality of the pillow and how often it has been used.
What Is the Average Cost of Pillows?
Most good quality pillows fall in the $50 to $200 range.
Are All Pillows Adjustable?
Generally, pillows are not adjustable. Only some pillows are adjustable.