Editor’s Note: This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links. For full details visit the disclosures page.
Sleep apnea is a potentially serious sleep-related disorder that affects millions of people across the globe. If you or your loved one is suffering from the same problem there are several ways to treat this sleep disorder and minimize its effect on healthy sleeping habits. One of the quickest and simplest tricks that can help you ensure a good sleep cycle and prevent frequent awakenings at night is purchasing mattresses that can help you with your sleep apnea problem.
Below is a list of the best products for sleep apnea along with a detailed guide to help you combat such a problem.
Best Memory Foam Mattress for Sleep Apnea: Nectar Mattress
If you have a sleeping partner and want to keep motion transfer at bay then the Nectar Mattress would be the best choice for you. The flagship memory foam bed from Nectar Mattress is constructed with a top layer of quilted gel memory foam, followed by a subsequent layer of gel memory foam.
It also features a high-density memory foam transitional layer with a support core made of high-density polyfoam. The removable cover is a combination of cotton and TENCEL lyocell.
The dense foam layer of the Nectar provides above-average durability with an estimated lifespan of 6-7 years.
- Exerts minimal pressure for those with stiff muscles and achy joints.
- Carries a budget price tag affordable to most buyers.
- Suitable for all types of sleepers – stomach, side, back, and combo.
- Best product for buyers looking for a long trial period and warranty.
- Inappropriate for individuals who dislike memory foam.
- Light-weight sleepers under 130 lbs might find it too firm.
- The body-hugging sensation that the mattress provides might be uncomfortable for some users.
Best Natural Mattress for Sleep Apnea: Avocado
One of the best natural mattresses available in the market, Avocado mattress features an eco-friendly construction with 100% organic certified latex, organic cotton, and wool. The Avocado is a blend of the traditional innerspring with elevated comfort feature foam that assures a chemical-free, all-natural night’s sleep.
The bed comes with environmental certifications like OEKO-TEX and GREENGUARD which ensures safety from hazardous substances.
- The firmness paired with the thickness of this mattress makes it a perfect choice for sleepers with heavier body frames.
- Committed to handcrafted construction and all-natural material, the bed comes straight out of the collection with no noticeable off-gassing.
- People who prefer a responsive and durable latex mattress should go for this product.
- Those who tend to sleep hot should opt for the Avocado.
- Inappropriate for petite side sleepers.
- If you are on a tight budget you should look for other alternatives as this is made from premium and certified organic material.
Best Hybrid Mattress For Sleep Apnea: Lytton
If you are looking for a durable, comfortable and serene mattress then you are at the right place as Lytton Sleep Mattress makes the best mattress for sleep apnea.
The heavy gauge border coils provide all-round edge support and durability. Its cooling gel technology makes the mattress as breathable as a cloud and as cool as an ocean breeze.
Considering the superior and durable material used, this mattress is expected to serve for a minimum of 10 years. If you have any doubt about the quality of this mattress they offer 100 nights trial for potential buyers to try out.
- The quantum coil system combined with high-density serene foam makes the mattress lasts longer than other market alternatives.
- The deep-pocketed coil system offers optimal back, hip, and shoulder support while minimizing the motion transfer.
- The serene foam provides consistent comfort for greater support while reducing motion transfer significantly for a better night’s sleep.
- The cover is made from eco-friendly certified organic cotton which provides a soft plush feel to the user.
- This mattress offers limited thickness and composition options.
- The Lytton may be a bit heavy for some users to move.
Luxury: Brentwood Home Oceano
The high-quality Brentwood Home Oceano mattress is designed to provide a luxurious experience to the user at a budget-friendly rate.
This hybrid mattress uses both foam and coils with layers of gel memory foam and pocketed coils to offer both pressure relief and support to the user.
The material is CertiPUR-US certified which ensures that the foam on which you are sleeping has low VOC and is non-toxic. Brentwood uses natural hydrated silica sand as fire-retardant layer in its Oceano mattress.
Its cover is made from natural plant-based TENCEL fibers making it thick and soft to touch. The construction provides the bed with an innerspring feel, topped with plush and soft pillow top.
- It has earned positive reviews from sleepers who weigh 230 lbs or less.
- Both coil layers promote strong airflow while the top wool layer wicks away moisture.
- The mattress isolates motion better than most competing products.
- Perfect for eco-conscious shoppers.
- This mattress is inappropriate for those who prefer a classic memory foam feel.
- Buyers looking for the cheapest mattress might find it inappropriate.
Performance: Eight Sleep
For most online beds it is the convenience and value that sells, but for Eight it is all about the smart features more than anything else.
Although it is technically not smart, the mattress contains a 4-layer foam with great pressure relief and support and also a nice medium feel.
Its unique smart cover slips over the mattress and helps the user connect to his phone. The cover tracks the sleep of the user and ensures that each side of the bed is evenly warm.
- Eight follows the direct to consumer model to help buyers save a significant amount.
- The 2” Reactive foam offers consistent heating without getting excessively hot making it appropriate for sleepers who like to sleep cool.
- Eight has a good amount of bounce and body conformance for great pressure relief.
- This mattress is appropriate for all sleeping positions with a smart cover sleep tracker.
- If you prefer a spring mattress you should consider something with coils.
- Eight provides a medium feel you should look elsewhere if you prefer an extra-soft mattress.
- This mattress is inappropriate for sleepers weighing over 300 lbs.
The Allswell hybrid mattress constructed from premium memory foam and supportive pocketed coils makes it the best economy mattress for sleep apnea.
Allswell features three variants of its mattresses – The Allswell, The Luxe, and the Supreme. A comfort layer of copper with graphite-infused gel memory foam provides firmness to the mattress while keeping it soft and comfortable.
- The thicker coils along the perimeter ensure strong edge support with minimal sinkage.
- This mattress is suitable for all body types, including heavier sleepers.
- People on a tight budget should definitely opt for this mattress.
- It sleeps relatively cool as its spring system offers more breathability and doesn’t let the sleeper sink too much.
- It does not provide the same pressure-relieving sensation as a traditional memory foam mattress.
- It might feel a bit firm for lightweight side sleepers.
More about the Best Mattress for Sleep Apnea
If you are dealing with sleep apnea on a nightly basis you would probably be wondering if there is a perfect mattress to ease such symptoms. Fortunately, there are and you just need to know the essential factors that play a major role in your search process. The essential factors to consider include –
Construction and Build Material
The construction and build material of your mattress is likely to help with your sleep apnea problem
- Latex Mattress: Made from the sap of rubber trees these are light and airy material. Avoid buying synthetic latex when shopping for the best mattress for sleep apnea as it contains a petroleum base and chemical compounds that can affect breathing.
- Memory Foam Mattress: It offers superior pressure point relief by supporting the hips and lumbar area. Make sure you buy a high-quality product when purchasing a foam mattress. Innerspring mattresses and firm beds tend to lack pressure relief making them a less suitable choice for this purpose.
- Hybrid Mattress: Consists of an innerspring base with memory or latex foam as comfort layers. Check whether the hybrid mattress is compatible with an adjustable base.
Natural and Organic Material
If you have breathing problems the last thing you would want is a mattress that increases your breathing problems. Therefore, it is recommended to opt for natural and organic materials as opposed to synthetic ones. Synthetic mattresses are known to contain volatile organic compounds that trigger conditions of asthma, allergies, and respiratory problems. If an organic product is beyond your budget opt for a mattress that is hypoallergenic.
Sleepers with sleep apnea problems usually sleep on their sides, especially if they are using a CPAP machine. This would require a mattress that not only provides ample support but also enough contouring to relieve the pressure points at the shoulders and hips. Choose a mattress that would be firm enough to provide support while preventing you from sinking too deep to maintain the right alignment.
Best Mattress for Sleep Apnea FAQs
What Type of Mattress Is Best for Sleep Apnea?
If you are on a hunt for the best mattress for sleep apnea keep the different types of mattresses in mind before making a purchase. This includes –
- Memory Foam: The superior pressure point relief makes it a suitable choice for sleepers with sleep apnea problems.
- Latex: It is available either in natural or synthetic form. The natural latex is made from the sap of rubber trees that makes it a hypoallergenic component. Synthetic latex is made from a petroleum base and other chemical compounds that may worsen the sleep apnea problem.
- Hybrid: This combines innerspring base or core with a latex surface or memory foam. Choose a mattress that can adjust to your bed frame.
Can a Mattress Help Sleep Apnea?
An elevated bed will allow air to easily pass through the airways and into the vital organs. Although adjustable beds are not a solution to sleep apnea problems they can surely lessen the symptoms and bring more peaceful sleep to the user. A latex mattress can encourage a good sleeping posture, relax muscles and help with sleep apnea and insomnia problems.
Can a Bad Mattress Cause Sleep Apnea?
Sleeping on the wrong mattress can escalate the problems related to sleep apnea and insomnia. For severe cases of sleep apnea, the episodes can last the entire night with the sleeper waking up every thirty seconds.
Is It Better to Sleep on a Hard or Soft Mattress?
Sleepers who are experiencing troublesome back pain should opt for a firm mattress for a comfortable sleep. Firm mattresses are appropriate for sleepers who sleep on their back as they provide a more stable and even surface. Also, stomach sleepers find these mattresses more appropriate. Others may opt for a softer one.
Your hunt for the best mattress for sleep apnea comes to an end once you get to know the features that you should be considering while searching for one. Rest is just your personal preference and choice which may influence your decision of selecting one product over the others.