Editor’s Note: This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links. For full details visit the disclosures page.
Your Guide to the Best Adjustable Beds of 2022
There are now hundreds of online mattress brands that ship their mattresses in a box. This means that they are also compatible with an adjustable bed. Interest in adjustable beds is now starting to grow. Below are reviews of some of the most popular adjustable beds. You don’t need to pay an arm and a leg either. There are now many budget-friendly options that work great.
There are now adjustable beds for any type of budget. For example, the Lucid Adjustable Bed is a budget-friendly option coming in at just under $800 for a queen size. If you want to get more features such as massage, presets, wall-hugging and a more finished look, the Puffy Adjustable Base is an excellent choice and top pick.
Beds aren’t just for sleeping anymore. Whether it’s Netflix binges or making your mattress your office for the day, we rely on or beds to keep us comfortable and cozy no matter what we do.
An adjustable bed can really transform and maximize the use of your bedroom.
Do You Need the Massage Feature on Your Adjustable Bed?
Lots of people wonder if the massage feature on an adjustable base is worth it. I find that I personally don’t use mine all that often however for some people it can be worth it. One consideration is that the massage will make your whole bed vibrate and if you have thin walls or floors you can hear it outside your bedroom.
Other Features to Consider
Entry-level adjustable beds are no frills in that they have wired remotes and no fabric covering so have a very spartan look but they function basically the same. With a more budget-friendly option, you may also have a louder motor but if you don’t adjust it while your partner is sleeping, it shouldn’t be an issue.
Ease of Setup
Ease of Setup
Ease of Setup
Ease of Setup
Purple Adjustable Bed
Ease of Setup
Leesa Adjustable Base
Ease of Setup
|Read review||Check Price|
|Read review||Check Price|
Best Adjustable Beds – A Definite Guide 2022
A survey conducted by Consumer Reports suggests that around 27 percent of healthy Americans with no apparent health issues have trouble falling asleep. This is not surprising considering the fact that a good night’s sleep is an amalgamation of several factors. These include proper sleep hygiene, a comfortable mattress, sheets, pillows, and a conducive sleep environment that is devoid of ambient disturbances. What else is needed? In all probability, you are missing out on the adjustable beds or adjustable bed frames.
What is an Adjustable Bed?
An adjustable bed is one that can be modified in several positions. Unlike regular bed frames, these beds are flexible, and their shapes can be changed according to preference. For instance, the upper part of the mattress can be inclined while the lower part remains unmoved. Similarly, the lower part of the bed can also be inclined without moving the upper portion. Adjustable beds are a recent addition to the consumer market but have already gained much popularity.
Benefits of Adjustable Beds
Adjustable beds used to be found only in hospitals. But today, they can be easily purchased by anyone who wants a bed that can be modified according to needs. Because the head and the lower end of the mattress can be elevated independently, it helps a lot of problems that interfere with sleep, such as:
Sleep Apnea: Inclining the head of the mattress can often relieve sleep apnea symptoms.
Asthma: When a person has difficulty breathing the head of the mattress can be elevated to make breathing easier.
Snoring: One of the best ways to stop snoring is to keep the head elevated. An adjustable mattress eliminates the need to stack pillows under the head. By inclining the upper part of the mattress, the head can be kept on a higher level to stop snoring.
Acid Reflux: You do not have to eat a big heavy meal before going to sleep to have Acid Reflux. But regardless of the reason for Acid Reflux, the position of the mattress can be adjusted to provide relief and comfort and facilitate proper sleep.
Arthritis: When a person suffers from arthritis, movement can be difficult, including getting in and out of bed. By adjusting the position of the bed and keeping the upper or the lower end of the mattress elevated, getting in and out of bed is made easier for those with restricted mobility.
Chronic Pain: Chronic pain can affect any part of the body, including the waist and the legs. By keeping the lower end of the bed elevated and adjusting the mattress to conform to the curve of the body, chronic pain can be minimized during sleep. Even the firmness level of the mattress can be adjusted to provide more comfort.
Leg Swelling: Elevating the lower part of the mattress is beneficial for those who suffer from leg swelling. It also makes sure you don’t wake up in the morning with swollen legs.
By either keeping your head or your legs elevated, several problems can be alleviated to induce proper sleep throughout the night.
An adjustable bed can be modified to closely match the curve of your body, so you get the support that you need. That means you don’t have to stack pillows anymore for supporting any part of your body.
Technology Options for Adjustable Beds
An adjustable bed often offers a lot more than just elevation. Today’s adjustable beds are high-tech and come with a number of technologies to enhance your convenience and comfort. A few of them are:
Personalized Elevation and Support: If you have sleep apnea or breathing difficulty, the head of the mattress can be elevated. If you have arthritis, restricted mobility or arthritis, the lower end of the bed can be elevated. For back pain, the mattress can be adjusted to match the curve of your body and provide optimum support.
Massage: Adjustable beds can also function as a massage chair. The mattress has a number of massagers installed, which provide a whole-body massage as you like on the bed.
Zero Gravity: When you sleep on a zero-gravity adjustable bed, you don’t feel any pressure. This is a great feature of an adjustable bed for those who suffer from arthritis or chronic pain. The mattress can be adjusted to a position that exerts less pressure, creating a more comfortable sleeping environment.
Bluetooth Connectivity: Smart beds now come with the option to be connected to a smartphone app. By connecting to the app, the mattress can tell you how long you slept, in what positions you slept, and what needs to be improved.
Customized Firmness: When two sleepers have different firmness preferences, an adjustable bed allows you that flexibility. Not only can you have two kinds of firmness on two sides of the bed, but you can also preset the firmness level so that you don’t have to adjust it every time.
USB Connectivity: With a USB, you can not only connect the bed to a smartphone but also use it to charge your electronic devices.
As the days go by, adjustable beds are likely to get more advanced technological features to offer more convenience and comfort to the users.
Adjustable Beds Warranties and Returns
Adjustable beds can be purchased online with relative ease. Even if you don’t find them at physical stores, there are several online companies that make high-quality adjustable beds. However, despite the ease of shopping online, there is no way you can check out the bed before purchase. That precisely is the reason why most online manufacturers offer a trial period on their products. Usually, the trial period is of 100 days, but a few manufacturers can also offer of a full year of the trial. Thus, if you do not like the mattress, you can return it and get a full refund within the trial period. The mattress is usually picked up by the manufacturer at no charge to the customer.
Adjustable mattresses also come with a warranty of at least 10 years. Some manufacturers also offer a 25-year limited warranty. This means customers can get the mattress repaired or replaced for free in case of any manufacturing defects. A few manufacturers also offer free repair of the mattress in case of regular wear and tear.
It goes without saying that an adjustable bed is far more expensive than a regular mattress. Because of the Hi-Tech features, an adjustable mattress is more of an investment than a purchase. Therefore, before choosing a mattress, there should be enough research to find out how the mattress has performed for other customers and if they are happy with the warranty and the refund policy.
Adjustable Bed FAQs
Are Adjustable Beds worth the cost?
The majority of people who purchase an adjustable bed are happy with their decision. Adjustable beds can make your mattress more comfortable and transform your bed into a lounge suitable for watching tv and reading. Adjustable beds are also helpful when you are sick or have obstructive sleep apnea and need to sleep in an inclined position.
Can I use a headboard with an adjustable bed?
A headboard can be used with an adjustable bed. Most adjustable bed brands have kits to attach the headboard directly to the bed. Adjustable beds are the same dimensions of standard mattresses so they will fit inside of a bed frame.
Can any mattress be used on an adjustable bed?
Any mattress that comes roll packed in a box can be used on an adjustable bed. This includes almost all online mattress brands. Less expensive mattresses with cheaper construction probably will not work because they use a coil system with wires along the perimeter of the mattress for edge support that will bend and break the mattress.
Best Adjustable Beds from Online Brands
Even if the adjustable bed you are looking for is not available at a physical store near you, they can easily be purchased online. In fact, several manufacturers that produce and sell high-quality adjustable beds sell it exclusively online. Best of all you can use any of these adjustable beds on your mattress. So the best adjustable bed may not be the same brand as the mattress brand you purchase.
Puffy is a great choice or features, price and durability. This adjustable base also ships fast and comes with a 101-night sleep trial and 10-year warranty. It’s rare to find an adjustable bed with a trial period let alone one that is over 3 months long. The Puffy adjustable bed was the easiest base to setup as well. It features USB ports, massage, a quiet motor and upholstered trim. It just looks and feels great. The Puffy is my top pick because of the free trial period. It is very rare to find a free trial with an adjustable bed. So, if you find that you either don’t like it or don’t use it, it’s a free refund.
Amerisleep is a well established band, known for the quality products and great customer service.
Amerisleep is a mattress and bedding brand focused on providing the highest quality in every product. Perhaps none of their accessories represent this commitment to comfort as well as the Amerisleep Adjustable Bed+ does.
Amerisleep also produced another adjustable bed, though it possesses fewer features than the Adjustable Bed+. Shoppers who truly want to upgrade their comfort should consider all the benefits the Adjustable Bed+ offers:
- Rolling wave massagers let a sleeper truly unwind after a long, tiring day with one of three intensities.
- Wall Glide design keeps the nightstand close at hand as the head of the bed is raised.
- Ability to connect to Google Home or Amazon Alexa, keeping owners from having to fiddle with their remotes for adjustments. Instead, they can simply speak the command.
- Downloadable mobile app also lets shoppers control the base with their smart phone.
- Charging ports along the side ensure sleepers never wake up to a phone that needs charging.
- Legs with adjustable heights, letting sleepers go as low as inches or as high as inches when setting up their ideal bed height.
- Bed base easily slips inside a traditional bed frame for a more conventional look.
- Remote has backlit lighting for easy nighttime adjustments. A one-touch button can switch on under-bed lighting for quick, easy trips to the bathroom in the dark.
The Amerisleep Adjustable Bed+ comes with a 10-year warranty. Not only does it ship free, but Amerisleep offers in-home setup at no added charge. Shoppers can choose from a twin XL, full, queen, split king, or California king size base. A queen size base can be purchased for $1400.
Among the most popular online mattress companies is Nectar, an American brand that manufactures both budget and luxury beds. The memory foam mattresses by Nectar are highly sought after because of the gel technology that prevents the memory foam from overheating. Nectar manufactures a wide variety of mattresses in different sizes and customizable options.
The company also produces an adjustable bed frame. It is not a mattress. It is the foundation on which you have to place the mattress. Although you can use it with any mattress that matches the dimensions of the frame, it is best suited for use with Nectar mattresses. The Nectar adjustable bed frame is available for purchase through the Nectar website, and a split king is priced at a little above $1200.
So, what do you get for the price? The Nectar adjustable bed frame is capable of a lot, that includes –
- Can be elevated from both ends either independently or at the same time.
- Has three zone massage, which provides relief and comfort to the whole body
- Comes with a wireless remote to easily adjust the settings without leaving the bed.
- USB ports to connect your smartphone.
- The TV Recline feature adjusts the bed to the perfect position for watching TV in bed
- The Zero Gravity setting ensures there’s less pressure exerted while you sleep
- The bed frame also comes with a 100-day sleep trial and a 3-year
Online mattress company Leesa has its own version of the adjustable mattress base. Leesa is based in Virginia and is direct to consumer online mattress company that specializes in the highest quality American beds. They produce both budget and luxury mattresses in different sizes and personalization options. Even though this is an online company, there is the option of trying out their mattresses in store. The adjustable bed frame can be bought online in easy monthly installments.
Leesa adjustable mattress base will work with any mattress, Leesa or not. Like most adjustable beds the Leesa adjustable mattress base which comes with several Hi-Tech features to take your convenience and comfort to the next level. There are four different sizes to choose from, but only the split king has the option to independently adjust both sides of the bed. That means you could be putting your feet up and your partner could be putting their head up at the same time. The other features include –
- Customized elevation and massager, so you can choose to put either your feet or your head up or elevate your entire body for spa-like comfort and rejuvenation.
- Zero gravity setting for pressure and pain relief.
- USB ports on the sides
- Remote controlled access.
- Silent motor and under bed LED lights.
The Leesa adjustable mattress base comes with a 100-day sleep trial and a 10-year full replacement limited warranty. The queen size is priced at a little about $1,000, while the king-size comes at $1700. You also have the option to choose a white glove delivery service where the company not only delivers the bed to your doorstep but also puts it together for you.
Another online mattress and bedding manufacturer is Nest Bedding. Specializing in American made bedding, the family-owned company is based in San Francisco and serves four regions in the US- Los Angeles and San Francisco Bay Area, New York, Chicago, and Seattle. Besides mattresses and mattress bases, the company also manufactures organic sheets and pillows.
Nest Bedding is known for its affordable pricing. The adjustable mattress base is available in four sizes, with the king size priced at $1699. Not only is there an EMI option but you can also take advantage of the discount that is offered by Nest Bedding very often. The bed frame is designed to work either stand-alone or fit inside an existing mattress base. If you already have a bed frame with the mattress base from Nest Bedding, you can make your existing bed frame adjustable. Its features are –
- The bed frame has a 700-pound capacity.
- Can be elevated at the head or the bottom with the remote.
- Comes with USB ports and charging options.
- Two preset settings, head, and foot articulation, and free-fall safety mechanism, which means once any part of the bed has been elevated it can only be lowered with the remote control. This prevents accidental lowering of the bed.
- In case you have no access to power the mattress base also has an emergency battery backup.
- For portability, the bed frame can be folded.
The bed ships free all over the country and can also be tried out at different Nest Bedding showrooms. The bed frame has a 100 days sleep trial, a one-year warranty for parts and labor, a three-year limited warranty for electronic parts like motor, transformer, remote, control box, and a 10-year limited warranty for mechanical parts.
Online mattress company Purple was founded in 1993 by two brothers, Tony and Terry Pearce. With their background in rocket science and manufacturing and project management, the two brothers decided to change the world. One of the first major products was wheelchair cushioning. Over the years Purple has not only produced mattresses but also various other forms of cushioning including knee pads, ballet cushions, footwear and golf bag straps. They also have their own adjustable bed frame hold the Purple Powerbase.
The Powerbase includes everything that you could ever desire in an adjustable bed. Not only can the head and the lower part of the mattress base be elevated, but the entire bed frame can be adjusted to conform to your natural curves. This means you can safely kiss your back-pain leg swelling and breathing difficulties goodbye with the Purple Powerbase. Some of the prominent features are
- The massager Technology is also quite different in the Powerbase. In the name of massage most adjustable beds produce an uncomfortable vibration. But the Powerbase uses frequency massagers to deliver a sensation of rolling waves across the body, which is calming and rejuvenating.
- The bed frame also comes with the Zero Gravity Technology, which means zero pressure is exerted while you sleep on the mattress.
- With USB connectivity, smartphone integration, four presets, a remote control function, and four different sizes, the Powerbase claims to be superior to other adjustable bed frames available today.
Purple offers a 20-year warranty on the Powerbase, plus free shipping across the country. However, the company has no trial period or return policy. Once you buy the product, you are stuck with it even if you don’t like it, so make sure to choose carefully.
Best Budget Adjustable Beds
If you do not want to spend a fortune on adjustable beds, there are budget options available. Two of the best budget adjustable beds are:
This raving Amazon Review best sums it all up…
Anywho, we reviewed several names or mattresses, and reviewed….and reviewed some more. Purchasing a mattress online can be a daunting experience, and let’s face it-many of these companies allot a 100 night try out or you can return it (Bill Burr voice “GROSS!”). So, we didn’t want to buy the thing, only to not like it and need to pay to restock it.
After several reviews and discussions with friends we opted on a bed with an adjustable base. So, then we needed to find the right one to buy. Again, after searching review after review-we landed on old Sven & Son-you ever hear of them. Yep, me neither. But, I did my research, and many of the reviews kept me coming back to them. And them compare their features to others. And, we just said “let’s go with Sven.”
A few things that I really want to underscore here that I personally feel made this the right purchase for us.
1. customer service. I made the online purchase, and Sleep Geeks (the wholesaler, I presume) called to validate that we dropped 2,000 smackaroos on one of their beds.
2. once they confirmed the purchase-I got a call 2 days later with shipping instructions-coming from Jacksonville via freight…would you be available for home delivery etc? Again better than expected customer service.
3. the freight company that they outsource too kept me in the loop-took about a week and a half to get the items to my home.
4. the attention to detail with packaging. Everything was nicely shrink wrapped, no holes in boxes, no dirt on the plastic that was bundled for the mattress. You could tell this thing was sitting around in some mildewed warehouse for several years.
5. ease of assembly. Listen, no lie the components are hefty, and require two people to move unless you’re testing your personal feats of strength.
6. literally, once I got this suckers up my flights of stairs, it took me less then 15 minutes to properly set up and position.
7. attention to detail in the electrical components. This may seem a little hoity toity on my part; however, when you flip the adjustable bases over, all of the various motors, wiring and components are nicely put together. Wires were cinched up with zip ties, nothing was dangling. The motors were tied up close in their own pockets. And the underside was inspected properly as it was numbered in pen. This may seem like a whatever detail, but there are a lot of wires and electrical components to this thing, and my dog usually crawls underneath our bed. Nothing is hanging low for her to get caught on or mess with.Ok…Stephen King thanks for the novel how is the bed??? Listen, this thing is really, really comfortable. With this mattress we tossed a gel, memory foam, astronaut polymer technology mattress just in the garbage because it wasn’t cutting it any longer. I don’t foresee that with this mattress and its adjustable base. It has some many features, LED lighting, USB plugins, massaging features. I’m pretty sure it can order you a pizza. Bottom line, I honestly have slept so much better than I have in recent years. Like, I really get a deep, deep sleep. It does take some getting used to sleeping in an adjusted position. I mean after all it’s similar to a hospital bed without all the IVs, lab work, and staff poking and prodding you-unless that’s your thing. Why I say it takes time getting used to sleeping in a pseudo upright position because I’m side sleeper, and it doesn’t feel right sleeping on your side when your feet are akimbo. So, you got to find your position, and then you’re good to go.In all seriousness, we THOROUGHLY enjoy the hell out of this thing. We got a California King. It’s two twins sandwiched together to form a king. The mattresses don’t move apart from one another when you are…you know…doing your thing…I’ve owned this now for about three weeks, and really can’t even find a complaint if I wanted to make one up. It was a great purchase for us. It was pricey sure, but when compared to other makes and models when you factor in the features you get I really think it was a no brainer.
Another budget mattress company is Lucid, a company that is known for offering a wide variety of choices in mattresses. Lucid doesn’t claim only one is right for everyone. Instead, it offers several choices according to sleeping position, budget, and firmness. The adjustable bed frames are no different. They are designed to offer the best in comfort and convenience.
If you are looking for an adjustable bed frame under $800, then the lucid L300 is the perfect option for you. Of course, when the mattress base is so affordable, there are features that are lacking. There are no hi-tech features in the Lucid L300; it does the job that it’s meant to do- elevate and fold. The lucid L300 is extremely easy to set up with the assembling process taking only 5 minutes. The base is also designed to fit into almost all bed frames. The smallest size is priced at $500 while the largest is priced at $799. Both the head and the feet are designed to elevate independently. The wireless remote also has a built-in flashlight.
The other adjustable Base by Lucid is the L100, a standalone steel frame that has a motor and a remote. The L100 is even lower priced, at only $350. If you’re short on budget but also would like to try an adjustable bed, the L100 is a good option, to begin with. Lucid ships free within the US and offer a 5-year warranty.
Best Luxury Adjustable Bed
If you’re ready to spend a little extra on a luxury bed, then there are various premium adjustable beds. They offer more features and more tech advancements, making sleep a truly blissful experience. When money is no object, the following adjustable beds can be added to your home.
Rize Aviada (Sleep Sherpa Top Pick)
The Rize Aviada is hands down the absolute best adjustable bed you can buy. It has illuminated steel feet that make it look elegant and stylish. What you get for the price is a huge number of features. The standout feature is that it is the only adjustable bed I have found that can bend down. This is a great solution for stomach sleepers that prefer a soft mattress but need support for their lower back and want to take pressure off their shoulders. If you and your partner have different sleep positions, buying a split king will allow each of you to configure it perfectly. It also has a long position that is perfect for watching tv or movies.
Here are the main highlights of this adjustable bed.
- Inversion positioningGet a full spinal stretch and realign your body
- Lounge positionLower the legs and take pressure off the lower back with our exclusive lounge position
- Dual USB outletsTwo built-in outlets on each side of the base keep your devices fully charged while you work or play
- Night-light feetFind your way easily in the dark with the illuminated feet – pick the color that suits your mood
- Anti-snore positionSleep better by using the anti-snore position to raise the head and open airways to reduce snoring
- Zero gravity positionImprove blood flow, reduce back pain, and feel almost weightless in zero gravity
- Incline positionHolds the head and lifts your feet for better support and relaxation while you read, work, watch, or browse
- Voice-powered mobile appCustomize your relaxation without putting down your mobile device and use voice controls for easy adjustment
- Three massage motorsChoose the location and intensity of your massage with the added motors for enhanced R&R
- Improved lift capacityHeavy-duty motors lift up to 850 lb. per base so you can pile on the thick mattress and extra pillows
- Flat positionPress one button to return to a flat, neutral position
- Programmable positionsOnce you find a favorite position, you’ll never want to go back, so save those custom settings to use any time
- FitRize adjustable beds are designed to fit inside most existing headboard/footboard/rail systems
- Stainless steel legsStylish, sturdy legs add a bit of flair. Each leg includes a height extension which can be removed to adjust the height of the base
- Premium fabricYou can show off your bed with beautifully designed upholstery
- Hidden component designUnsightly cords and controls are blocked from view so your bed can be the focal point of the room
- Continuous motion modeSet the bed to go through a series of positions automatically
- Gravity releaseA built-in safety feature to reduce stress on objects caught under the bed, so there’s no worry about pinching or pressing
- Sync up two basesTwin XL and split sizes offer an easy-to-use sync cable so you can operate both sides of the bed together
Looking for a great mattress for your new adjustable base? Check out our latest mattress reviews